Mumbai City FC hold Bengaluru FC to 1-1 draw

Vastavam web: Bengaluru FC failed to capitalise on their numerical advantage in the second half as they were held to a 1-1 draw by 10-man Mumbai City FC in an engrossing Indian Super League match here on Sunday. In an end-to-end affair till the last minute, Udanta Singh gave Bengaluru the lead in the 23rd minute but Modou Sougou equalised in the 31st minute. Bengaluru maintained their unbeaten record while Mumbai took their unbeaten streak to seven matches.

The point preserved Bengaluru’s three-point advantage at the top of the league while Mumbai City are second with 21 points. Mumbai City attempted to punish the home side’s high line and Modou Sougou was tasked with exploiting the space behind the Bengaluru backline. After three offside calls, Sougou’s persistence paid off in the 31st minute. Arnold Issoko dribbled infield from the right flank and played a delightful cross into the centre for the Senegalese striker whose diving header left Gurpreet Singh rooted to the spot.

Gurpreet was troubled again in the 36th minute when Issoko produced another brilliant ball towards the far post. Nishu Kumar lost track of Rafael Bastos but the striker’s header was well kept out by the Bengaluru and India goalkeeper. Bengaluru were on the ascendancy soon after the break. Substitute Xisco Hernandez found Chhetri in space just outside the box in the 49th minute and the striker’s swerving strike took a minor deflection off Goian and forced an excellent finger-tip save from Amrinder Singh. But despite the numerical disadvantage, Mumbai kept on pushing and in the 64th minute, quick footwork helped Rafael Bastos get the better of Albert Serran near the byline and tease a cross towards the near post where Sougou’s header flew just wide.

The sending off did nothing to impact the pace of the game as both sides looked for a match-winning goal. A scramble inside the box in the 73rd minute resulted in Xisco Hernandez finding the ball at his feet but the Spaniard’s shot was saved by Amrinder. Erik Paartalu’s header from the resulting corner-kick struck the crossbar and went out.