World athletics chief blasted Bolt obsession

Vastavam web: World athletics chief Sebastian Coe blasted the “obsession” with Usain Bolt as track and field entered its new era without the Jamaican showman at the Commonwealth Games on Sunday.Coe said there was no shortage of athletics talent for the Games, the first major competition since Bolts retirement last year left the sport with a void to fill.”Are we going to replace Usain Bolt? Probably not, because you dont replace Muhammad Ali.

“But Marvin Hagler and Manny Pacquiao and (Julio Cesar) Chavez and the great boxers came through.” Bolt, the eight-time Olympic champion and 2014 Commonwealth relay gold-medallist, would have been the star attraction and a certain crowd-puller at the Gold Coast.Jamaican sprinters Yohan Blake and Elaine Thompson, and Shaunae Miller of the Bahamas now shape as the main athletes to watch during the eight-day athletics programme.

“Usain under any set of circumstances has driven our sport and thats a high-class problem to have, and he will remain engaged,” said Coe.Australias Dane Bird-Smith and Jemima Montag won the mens and womens race walks as the athletics competition got underway, with the mens hammer and 5,000m finals due later on Sunday.