Trump pledged his escalating trade showdown would get results: Chinese Media

Vastavam web: The US and China’s top economic officials agreed by phone today to “continue to communicate” on trade issues, Chinese state media said, as President Donald Trump pledged his escalating trade showdown would get results despite pushback from Europe and Beijing.In his latest jolt to the prevailing global order, Trump on Thursday authorised tariffs on as much as USD 60 billion of Chinese imports, targeting sectors in which Washington says China has stolen American technology.

He also accused a US probe into Chinese intellectual property practices of violating international trade rules.China had warned the United States yesterday that it was “not afraid of a trade war” as it threatened tariffs on USD 3 billion worth of US goods in retaliation. And French President Emmanuel Macron said Europe would respond “without weakness” to Washington’s threats of tariffs on steel and aluminium.Global stocks have plummeted as fears rise that the confrontation could provoke a damaging trade war. Meanwhile, World Trade Organization Director-General Roberto Azevedo called for cooler heads to prevail, saying in a statement that new trade barriers would “jeopardise the global economy”.

But speaking to reporters yesterday as he signed new budget legislation, Trump said his efforts were beginning to bear fruit.European and US trade officials said this week they were beginning talks to reach a compromise.”Many other countries are now negotiating fair trade deals with us,” Trump said Friday.”Part of the reason, frankly, that we’re able to do that is the fact that we have the tariffs on steel and the tariffs on aluminium.” China’s commerce ministry warned that a 15 per cent tariff on 120 goods worth almost USD 1 billion — including fresh fruit, nuts and wine — would be imposed if the US fails to reach a “trade compensation agreement” within an unspecified time frame.

In a second step, a 25 percent tariff would be imposed on eight goods totalling nearly USD 2 billion, including pork and aluminium scrap, after “further evaluating the impact of the US measures on China,” the statement said.”China does not want to fight a trade war, but it is absolutely not afraid of a trade war,” the commerce ministry said.Betty Wang, an economist at ANZ bank, said China’s reaction was “relatively mild.”

“From China’s perspective, it absolutely does not want to see a trade war. Coming back to the negotiation table is a relatively good result,” Wang said.The United States had a record USD 375.2 billion goods trade deficit with China last year.US Trade Representative Robert Lighthizer indicated the industries could include aerospace, maritime and rail transport equipment, and new energy vehicles.