Stalemate continues over EWS quota in AP

Vastavam web: Albeit, the Union government had granted 10 pc quota in employment and education for Economic Weaker Sections (EWS) through amendment to the constitution. Still, the decision is a stalemate in the State. The ambiguity has been continuing since the Centre’s clear decision in January this year. Further, Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s cabinet also gave nod for implementation of the Bill for providing reservation for filling vacancies in seats in central institutions across the country in April this year.

The reservation quota is being implemented in many States including neighbouring Telangana providing 10 per cent quota to the economically weaker sections. But there is no such move till now in the State. It is surprising that the Vice-Chancellor of Dr NTR University of Health Sciences wrote recently to the State government asking for stand on implementation of the quota in filling varsity seats.

Interestingly, the previous TDP government had allocated 5 per cent quota to the Kapus and the rest for EWS and the Centre denied the proposal. This quota is given only for the general category candidates other than already listed under reservation category. Already OBC is having 27 per cent, SCs 15 per cent, and ST 7.5 per cent.

For the EWSs among general category candidates, only 10 per cent reservation is allowed, say the amendment. Further, there is an uproar on the reservation for EWS and some organisations approached the Supreme Court too which denied stay orders on the quota posting hearing on July 16. Eligibility criteria is for persons, who are not covered under the scheme of reservation for SCs, STs and OBCs and whose gross income is below Rs 8 lakh are eligible and the income shall in the form of salary, agriculture, business, profession, etc.

Other criteria are people, who claim under the category should not have 5 acres of agricultural land and above; residential flat of 1,000 square feet and above; residential plot of 100 square yards and above in notified municipalities; residential plot of 200 square yards and above in areas other than the notified municipalities. For claiming this reservation, the State government must provide income and asset certificate. But the Revenue department is not issuing such certificates and they are giving only Other Caste (OC) certificates to the Brahmins, Kammas, Kapus and others from upper caste category.

Officials say they hadn’t received any directions from the government for issuing such certificates and they have only provision for OCs. Since there is no clarity on the quota students from many central educational institutions in the State are losing opportunities.