Britain royals brought the gift of dignity to Australia’s war veterans

Vastavam web: Britain’s Prince Harry and his wife, Meghan, brought the gift of dignity to Australia’s war veterans on Saturday, laying a wreath for those who died at an Anzac war memorial. The Prince, in military uniform, and his wife, respectfully clothed in a high-necked black dress by New Zealand designer Emilia Wickstead, silently and gently placed the wreath to rest together before fighter jets thundered past.

Retired General David Hurley, Governor of New South Wales, said there had been a crowd 100,000-strong at that opening where the Duke unveiled a plaque that said in simple terms: “Opened, by the son of a King”. To echo those sentiments, Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex, unveiled the commemorative plaque at the re-opening following a $40 million upgrade that completes the original 1930s design by architect Bruce Dellitt.

The memorial has now been finished in time for the 100th anniversary of the end of World War One after a $40 million upgrade to include a spectacular cascading waterfall, a hall of service, education facilities and a library. The hall contains an artwork collection of 1701 soil samples from every town, city or district that were homes of those who fought in World War One. The Duke and Duchess of Sussex toured the upgraded memorial before attending the opening ceremony alongside Australia’s Prime Minister Scott Morrison and other dignitaries. The royal couple have also toured the drought-stricken NSW town of Dubbo and participated in a group hug on Sydney’s Bondi Beach.