Bulgaria’s ministers resigned over deadly Bulgaria bus crash

Vastavam web: Bulgaria’s ministers of public works, transport and interior affairs resigned today after heavy criticism directed at the government over a deadly tourist bus crash. “The three ministers me, Transport Minister Ivaylo Moskovski and Interior Minister Valentin Radev — tabled our resignations today,” regional development and public works Minister Nikolay Nankov told journalists.

Seventeen passengers died when their bus ran off the road in torrential rain and plunged 20 metres into a river gorge in western Bulgaria on Saturday. Four people also remain in a critical condition. The interior ministry has meanwhile been accused of failing to respond to a number of complaints in recent months by drivers from the nearby town of Svoge who had raised worries over an increasing number of accidents on the section of road concerned.

The ageing bus had also not undergone one of two obligatory technical checks by the transport ministry authorities. The bus driver is the only person who has been charged over the crash so far. But the results of the early probe has revived a recurrent debate about the poor state of Bulgaria’s roads and its corruption-ridden public tender system. Allegations have been rife that a large share of the funds for road repair projects — often coming from EU aid — are pocketed by firms close to power, leaving just a fraction for the actual repairs.

A famous former dissident from the communist era, Nikolay Kolev — also known as ‘Bosia’ — told AFP today he had ended the hunger strike he began on June 13. He had been demanding Moskovski’s resignation after revelations about corruption in the agency that awards drivers’ licences. Eleven years after joining the European Union in 2007, Bulgaria remains the bloc’s poorest country with just one fully completed border-to-border highway and much of its road network in a bad state.