Tensions rose after an Israeli operation to blow up tunnel from Gaza

Vastavam web: Tensions rose today after an Israeli operation to blow up a tunnel from the Gaza Strip killed seven Palestinian militants in one of the deadliest incidents since a devastating 2014 war.The seven men, from the armed wings of Gaza’s rulers Hamas and allied group Islamic Jihad, were killed yesterday when Israel blew up the tunnel it said had crossed into its territory and was intended for attacks.Hamas leader Ismail Haniya appeared at a funeral in central Gaza attended by a few thousand people, witnesses said, while senior Hamas figure Khalil al-Hayya spoke at one in the southern part of the strip.
It said the operation was carried out on the Israeli side of the border and stressed it was not seeking a further escalation.No tunnel opening had been found on the Israeli side of the border. It had come from the vicinity of the city of Khan Younis in the Gaza Strip, Israeli’s military said.Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said today his country would “not tolerate any attacks on our sovereignty, on our people, on our land, whether from the air, from the sea, from the ground, or below the ground,” he said.
Hamas is due to hand over control of the enclave’s borders to the Palestinian Authority tomorrow under the deal mediated by Egypt and signed on October 12.Both Haniya and Palestinian prime minister Rami Hamdallah spoke of ensuring the reconciliation pact remains on track.”The response to this massacre is to move forward towards the restoration of national unity because the enemy realises our strength is our unity,” Haniya said.