Vastavam web:China today ramped up its response to an earthquake that killed 19 people and injured hundreds, sending supplies and personnel into the mountainous zone as rescuers fanned out to search for more victims. AFP journalists in Jiuzhaigou, a popular tourist destination near the epicentre of Tuesday night’s 6.5- magnitude quake, saw dozens of relief and military trucks rolling through the remote corner of Sichuan province.The quake’s epicentre was near Jiuzhaigou, an area populated largely by ethnic Tibetans and Qiang people.
Jiuzhaigou’s scenic beauty is popular with Chinese tourists who flock to its national park, which is a UNESCO World Heritage site, and tens of thousands of visitors were evacuated Wednesday.Yang Yongzhi was among a search team in red jumpsuits and hardhats who were forced by landslides to turn back Wednesday night after trying to press into cut-off valleys.The tremor evoked memories of a devastating 8.0-magnitude earthquake in the region in 2008 that left 87,000 people dead or missing, but the impact of Tuesday’s disaster was comparatively light.
Authorities kept the death toll unchanged Thursday at 19 but scores more injured turned up, bringing the total to 343, 34 of them seriously hurt. A Frenchman and a Canadian woman were among the injured.The quake tore cracks in mountain highways and AFP journalists saw cars that had been smashed by giant falling boulders.One Jiuzhaigou hotel partially collapsed, however, and a woman’s dead body was pulled out of the rubble Thursday morning, provincial fire authorities said.So far, 200 million yuan (USD 30 million) in government relief funds had been allocated for quake relief, authorities said, and the government of Aba prefecture where Jiuzhaigou is located issued an appeal for donations.
The local government said it had repaired 129 telecommunication towers or other installations that were damaged by the quake, restoring communications with much of the affected area.More than 30,000 tourists were in the Jiuzhaigou park when the quake struck, but authorities said most were evacuated Wednesday.