Vastavam web: US Secretary of State Rex Tillerson has sought to allay fears of a military confrontation with North Korea after President Donald Trump warned he could unleash “fire and fury” on the pariah state. Tillerson defended Trump’s comments but said there was no sign that the threat level from North Korea had changed and that Americans should “sleep well at night.” His unscheduled remarks, on a flight out of the region early Wednesday, appeared designed to dial back the unprecedented rhetoric from Trump. In comments that were significantly more incendiary than any made by US presidents in the past, Trump had appeared to threaten nuclear war with North Korea. “North Korea best not make any more threats to the United States. They will be met with fire and fury like the world has never seen,” Trump said on Tuesday at his golf resort in Bedminster, New Jersey. Hours after Trump spoke, and apparently in response to military exercises by the US earlier in the week, Pyonyang warned that it would carry out preemptive military strikes against the US, including the Pacific territory of Guam. In a report on state-run media, North Korea said it would “turn the US mainland into the theater of a nuclear war” at the first sign of an impending American attack.