Taliban suicide bomber attacks convoy of foreign forces in Afghanistan

NATO soldiers walk at the site of a suicide bomb attack in Kabul, Afghanistan June 30, 2015. A suicide bomber attacked a convoy of foreign troops serving with NATO on the main road running between Kabul's airport and the U.S. embassy, police and security officials said. REUTERS/Ahmad Masood

Vastavam web: A Taliban suicide bomber rammed a vehicle filled with explosives into a convoy of foreign forces in Afghanistan’s restive southern province of Kandahar causing casualties today, officials said. “At around noon a car bomb targeted a convoy of foreign forces in Daman area of Kandahar,” provincial police spokesman Zia Durrani told AFP.NATO confirmed in a statement that a convoy was attacked and did “cause casualties” but did not immediately give further details.

The Taliban, who have a heavy presence in poppy-growing Kandahar province and have launched repeated attacks there, quickly claimed the attack by text message to AFP. The assault is the latest blow to NATO forces, who ended their more than a decade-long combat mission in Afghanistan at the end of 2014.Since then Afghan troops and police, beset by soaring casualties, have struggled to beat back the resurgent Taliban, while facing the growing menace of the Islamic State group.